Wednesday, September 28, 2011

and then there were three

TRANSFERS! We are now a trio here in Singapore, my companions are Sister Howard and Sister Ferguson. We're setting a little bit of a record for the mission...as our one companionship is covering five wards. Pray that we don't kill over. I can't believe how much I'm going to miss Sister Wong, who is now in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah in East Malaysia ...with Sister Jensen!! Two of my favorite people together at last.

It was really hard first hearing about transfers, I'm not going to lie. I don't think I've been that depressed on the mission yet. I pretty much wasn't talking for a day and a half...I think I was just completely overcome by fear that I'm not doing enough here in Singapore so I may not be help to stay here longer and also by the fear that I'll never have a chance to really learn the language if I'm in a place where they don't really speak it for the first 2/3 of my mission. It was really awful. One of my favorite verses in D&C is section 6:36, "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not." I was reminded that fear and the Spirit do not work well together and I felt that void during that time and just completely surrendered in prayer. I think it's a little sad that I have certain prayers that I can remember in my lifetime where I felt like I was really turning myself over, they should probably all be that fervent, but this was one of them. And through prayer I came to trust in the decision in transfers and know that it was inspired, to know that I do still have much more that I can do here in Singapore but I do need to pick up my pace and start working harder. I have always hoped that I'll be a good missionary, but what's hope without work, right? So, I think I have a renewed commitment to work harder this transfer. And I know that even if I don't see results from it until after my time in Singapore, the resulting happiness that I will feel knowing that I gave my best will be enough. And I'm already feeling happier about that decision.

Anyway, here's my week starting with last Wednesday night :) We met with L&E for the last time as L&E, because L is now back in the Philippines! I cried a lot. I'm a baby. It was a nice evening though and I think they really felt our love for them as we bore testimony of The Book of Mormon and our love for it. I will miss her so much, but she was talking about maybe skyping into our lessons every Wednesday night with E. So hopefully we'll "see" her tonight, and eventually get her to continue learning from the missionaries in Cebu.

Thursday night we met with a young married couple from China and Singapore, ZY & SL. Quite an interesting lesson as ZY is Muslim and SL is a free-thinker...but they're still interested in hearing more about why The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is different. So we'll be happy to share :)

We've met with YL twice since I last wrote and her understanding that's developing of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon is astounding. She's an incredible person and she wants good things in her life so she can do good things. It's so interesting to teach her and to answer the questions she has about the readings from the Book of Mormon that we give her every week. The only problem that we're seeing is that she sees these chapters and stories from the lives of Jesus Christ and his prophets as fables...that the morals learned from them will lead her to do good to others, but she's still not believing that there's a God or that there's life after this life. So it's a slow process, but I really think she'll start to believe as she continues to read and pray and do her part. Someone with that much sincerity has got to receive the answer that she's looking for, as long as she's looking for it. That's the only problem.

Sister Wong and Sister Ferguson had a wonderful baptism on Saturday! This woman is the sister-in-law of an area authority of the Church here in Singapore and her learning about the gospel has been 30 years in progress. Her husband and daughters are supportive of her decision but still aren't opening up to the message and the invitation to learn for themselves. I got to sing at the baptism and it was so much fun to be there for her!

D is still staying strong to his baptismal date at the end of October and he's bringing so many people to church and to learn with him! His friend, A, is now also on date to be baptized the same day.

We have a family that we're teaching!!! I couldn't be happier about that. They are from China but have been living here in Singapore for over ten years. The mom, J, is a very strong Christian, but was intrigued by her coworker's beliefs (a member of the Bedok ward) so she brought her family to church. We met with them on Sunday afternoon and now have a standing appointment for every Sunday afternoon. W (the father) is also Christian, but only for a year now. They have differing beliefs...J sees things like baptism in the bible and notices that Christ was baptized by going into water and wonders why there are now many different ways to baptism, where W thinks that it's all technicalities and doesn't really matter as long as you have faith in Christ. J said something that made me think about something I've never really realized as a blessing. She feels like she has no room to doubt in her religion. Not that she has perfect knowledge, but that she literally isn't given the privilege of doubt. She feels like if she were to question some practices of her church, she wouldn't be able to explain them and it would result in a loss of faith. One of the reasons she wants to meet with us and learn more about the Latter-day Saints is so she can go through her doubts and voice them with someone. I never realized how much I've had the opportunity to doubt in my life. I think I even look at doubt as a good thing for myself. Every principle of my religion that I have ever doubted has led me to study and to prayer and my faith has only been strengthened through that. As I study the things that were once confusing, I see that there really is no hole in God's plan, nothing missing from the restored church of Jesus Christ, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe it so strongly. I know that the things I'm teaching people are true and I only hope that they can take the initiative to find out for themselves if they're true. And I know that hope is brought through that process. And that hope destroys all doubt. I'll keep you updated on the W family. For now, just know that they're awesome and I love them. They have three children, the 18 year old is not interested in religion at all, but the 9 year old and the 4 year old love coming to church. And the 9 year old, SR is such a smarty. Man I love them.

I also love the Lai family so much! I was in the MTC with Elder Lai and now I'm serving in his home ward, so Sister Lai is spoiling us rotten. She makes amazing food. I love Singapore.

Here's the cherry on top of this week. I had a surprise visitor from the Forest Bend ward on Monday (well only surprise until I found out he was coming on Saturday when President approved the visit). Brother Bonham from my home bishopric hand-delivered a package to me from mom and dad! I thought it was going to be so weird to mix these two lives, but it was great. I got to show Brother Bonham our new chapel here in Singapore. We're all so proud of it. And I sent a letter home with him, so if any of you reading this are my home ward members, there's a letter for you all on its way! THANK YOU BROTHER BONHAM!!!!

My companion is now the oldest sister in the mission, Sister Hite left the mission today...we're going to miss her :( I think my companion, Sister Howard, (I’m not going to lie, I really like to call her Sister Howie…not sure why), but she's a little freaked out about how fast the time is going. She's only got seven weeks left now! Oh man.

I am stoked for Conference, to answer your question, mommy! It just won't be aired here until the 8th and 9th of October, instead of this weekend. You guys are just way too far behind us in time, sheesh. Have a safe trip to Lake Powell, mom and dad, and enjoy watching Conference in that beautiful setting!

I love you all so much and hope you're happy and having a great week :)

Sayangi!

Sister Norton

HFI

Just though you might like to know...

Me and Sister Wong

and a nice dying present she left for me on my desk.
Sooo sweet...

One of my very favorite families.

No comments:

Post a Comment