Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I'm Michael J. Fox

What timely emails from you, Mom & Dad. You must have known that I would need that extra support this week...because I'M GOING TO PENANG. I am sitting in a cushy chair in Singapore right now, because today I'll go pick up my GREENIE from the airport, and then we'll be in training and fly out to Penang tomorrow, to OPEN AN AREA THAT SISTERS HAVEN'T BEEN IN FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS. So yeah...I might have a few butterflies in my stomach. When I found out transfer news last weekend I think I experienced my first panic attack. Woo! I thought that President was maybe off his rocker. No offense if you ever read this, President :) But the more I learn about Penang and hear of the inspiration that led to this call, the more excited I am to get there.

The funny thing is there is an advert for Penang in the MRT station that we always pass through. It's a pretty island in West Malaysia, up more by the Thai border. Every time we see it, I say, "Wow, I want to go to Penang!" So...careful what you wish for eh? The island is bigger than Singapore, but right now there is only one set of elders there. There's one branch. (Island bigger than Singapore...one branch...Singapore has nine wards...I think we'll work on splitting that baby.) So there's a lot of work to be done. Sister Wilkes and I will be going into a part of the island, out of the city, that hasn't ever really had missionaries before. No pressure. I'm SO excited :)

As I've been thinking about not wanting to die there...the phrase "faith can move mountains" keeps popping into my head, with this reasoning...not that I don't believe that mountains can literally be moved with faith, but I just imagine the mountain being moved by climbing it. If it's under you instead of in front of you, I'd say that's moving. Plus it's a better view at the top. So, that's my motivation for Penang. There are going to be lots of "mountains." (Literally too :) Ohhhh I've missed them. And I'll be biking them! But with faith and WORK, we'll be on top of those mountains in no time. And that, to me, is more of a miracle than moving it to walk on flat ground. So let the miracles roll :)

Although I'm stoked for Penang, leaving Singapore is slightly breaking my heart. There are so many people I will miss here. People that I have grown to love so much. They are my family! I will miss the members here, they're so strong. I will miss my dear dear Sister Howie!! I couldn't have had a better trainer. At least I know I'll see her at BYU next year. And I will miss the incredible people that we've been privileged to be teaching. YL accepted a baptismal date last night, and I know she'll follow through with it. She brought me a beautiful jade bracelet for a going away gift and all I had to give her was my testimony that this is true. It was such a nice, though slightly tearful, lesson. K is still on date. He is the sweetest and it's awesome to see as he begins to understand why we are truly here as missionaries and why I'm leaving now, but the best is he's excited to continue learning because he feels the Spirit urging him on. E still has a growing love for The Book of Mormon. S & I, it's so good to hear that you're still doing well. I want you both to know that you're still in my prayers. Our Heavenly Father has not forgotten you and will never give up on you. There will always be missionaries here, you know where to find them. PLEASE keep learning. Please keep drawing closer to your Savior; He is the only unfailing source of peace, love, hope, and knowledge in this world and in this life. I know He lives! Saya sayangi kedua kamu seperti abang abang saya. Harap Allah serta mu selalu sampai kita jumpa lagi.

I'm out of time! Please hold off on sending me letters or anything until I can send my Penang address next week! I love you all so much and hope you have a wonderful week! Thank you for your prayers, we need them!!

I'll tell about Michael J. Fox and answer questions and send PICTURES next week :)

Sister Norton

HFI


Lots of rain = lots of green. Beautiful Penang!

Hopefully they eat the mosquitos ...

No comments:

Post a Comment