Thursday, February 16, 2012

rain's back

When we first got to Penang it was the end of the rainy season. So much rain everyday. Then it stopped and it was dry. For Malaysia at least. Then everyone said it would get ridiculously hot for Chinese New Year. And it did. And now it's still that hot and it's raining a ton again. I hate biking in the rain.

We met with A&D last week. A's father was a member of the church but we recently found out that he and his wife and A's older sister have all passed away. We felt like they needed to know about the blessings of the temple and the connection between that and the spirit world that we taught them about a couple of weeks ago. I took a really awesome temple edition of the Ensign and we had a great lesson. Tonight is kind of our last chance to invite them once again to be baptized and be a part of the true church that his father found so many years ago.

We had such a great lesson with JN last week, but now she's moving back to KL! I was impressed with her understanding of what it means for us to pray about the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart and real intent. That's how she'll get an answer. Luckily we are going there next week for a zone conference, so we're trying to set up a time to meet her there and introduce her to the missionaries so she can continue to learn.

English class was even more of a success last week, we had a whole five in attendance. It's growing lah :)

On Saturday morning a member took us on a hike with a university classmate of his. Ummm … Penang is SO beautiful! I wish I wasn’t so frustrated with this island so often so that I could really just enjoy it a little more. The hike was good and the friend had some interesting questions, but we weren’t able to get a return appointment with her yet. We’ll see.

J came to church again! We naik bas together. Got some cute pictures of her little boy. It's going well.

We got a referral to go visit a family that lives near our building so gave him a call on Sunday and tried to get a confirmation on the address. No street name, just the building name. Problem, there are two complexes with the same name in our area. Another problem, people here don't know directions, if you said south of Georgetown, no one would know what you're talking about. So he said "after USM." Ummm after USM coming from where? North? South? He doesn't know. I can't speak Tamil. So we've yet to be able to make it there. Aduuuuh. Terus cuba.

S&Y? Apa khabar? Masih baca ini? Saya rindu kedua kamu! Ada jumpa dengan Sister Kubota? Ada cakap dengan Sister Wong atau Sister Howard? Harap kamu sihat dan gembira!

I can't hear people. I think I'm going deaf. It makes me want to cry sometimes.

S&J. We've got a sad situation here. We had another good lesson with them, just talking about what it means to be a disciple of Christ and the sacrifices they'll need to make if they really want the witness they're looking for. They're in this time, I hope. But S's visa is up next week and the government is giving him a really hard time with it. If he doesn't get it renewed, he's back to Nigeria and I think I'll cry. I understand that there are problems here with people from his country, but I know he isn't involved with those problems, and I hate the racism he's facing from the stereotype. Please just pray for these friends of ours.

Hopefully I'll be able to email next week from KL. I love you all.

Sister Norton

HFI

No comments:

Post a Comment