Thursday, February 9, 2012

third time's the charm

Well, D was baptized! Three times...Most memorable baptism of my mission for sure. And I don't think I'll be able to top it in the next six months. I don't like it when Heavenly Father makes me learn through experience, can't I just read it in the Book of Mormon?

The baptism was wonderful on Saturday, great talks given, I sang and an elder who is an excellent piano player accompanied me, and the baptism itself seemed fine, except one thing, the elder baptizing her said her full English name. Once she came out of the water, I turned to Sister Wilkes and said ''I think it needs to be done with her full Chinese name.'' I started asking around everyone in the room and just had this feeling that it should be done again with her full Chinese name, just in case. She was in the font, it wouldn't be any trouble to just have it done one more time. I ignored that feeling. I felt uneasy about it for the rest of the evening. I talked to my District Leader when I got home, got passed on to the Zone Leaders, and then to the Assistants who said they would ask President, but he'd already gone to bed so they'd let us know in the morning. Eight o'clock am on Sunday morning, we got a phone call saying she needed to be re-dunked. Aduh. She was on schedule to be confirmed and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost during Sacrament Meeting, so it would have to be done before church at 10. The font takes 90 minutes to fill. It takes us 90 minutes to get to church by bus, 45 minutes by bicycle, and 15 by taxi, but we had to meet J and take a bus with her to church. So how? We called the elders (they live about five minutes from the church) and they rushed over to start the font for us. We tried to call the Branch President but his phone was off. About a half hour later we got a call from him, asking why the font was running when he got to the church. We tried to explain but he seemed to think it didn't need to be re-done, so he turned off the water. We couldn't get a hold of D because she has her phone off on Sunday mornings. So we ran to get J and then took a taxi with her and her son to church. We got there and the font was maybe 1/4 full...at 9:10. So we turned on the hoses out in the yard and brought them into the font, and our dear elders started filling buckets outside and dumping them into the font. So it was full in record time. Then D showed up to church and we explained the full situation to her, asking to see her IC card so we could know what her name is on all her records. Sure enough it wasn't the same name by which she had been baptized. She was understanding, but her father was far from it. I got chewed out big time. Like went upstairs and cried haha. Finally he agreed to let her be re-dunked and we got everything ready. It's ten minutes till church starts at this point and we have two families of investigators just sitting alone in the chapel. I'm so thankful that the Branch Presidency recognized that the Spirit wasn't there, and things were too crazy to have a baptism, so they decided to make it a part of the Sacrament Meeting. We started out in the chapel, and then the whole branch moved out to the font for D's baptism. That was nice. Only three members had come to the baptism the day before. I overheard one member commenting that this was probably the first time the whole active part of the branch had attended a baptism, and that's the way it should be. So it all worked out. It was a great baptism, but her hair was out of the water the first time, so they even had to dunk her a third time. So, hopefully it was a lesson learned. When the Spirit tells you something, you don't ignore it. Heavenly Father is so patient with me. He even makes my mistakes turn out for the best.

So, as said above, J was at church! She was a little nervous on the way there, but looked at me and said she's getting baptized on the 24th of March, so she needs to start getting herself ready. I love her! Her boy wasn't even that naughty during church! I just had to keep reminding her that it will take adjusting, but they'll get more and more comfortable at church. In an extra effort to help her feel comfortable, I bore my testimony in bahasa, first time from a pulpit! (Hard to find opportunities when I've only served in English and Chinese wards/branches...gearing up for East Malaysia!) One dear member started talking to her in the nursery when she dropped off her son and they hit it off. This member bore her testimony of the Church and how happy it's made her family, and it must have affected J because she invited us to meet with her and her husband next time. On Saturday is the plan.

M also came to church with one of his daughters and then we went to teach the whole family that night. It is so hard to help people understand the authority of the priesthood when they don't have a Christian background (or even when they do...), but it was still a good lesson. P made us thosai after and I thought I was going to lose it because we had to eat so many. Once again I had to rescue Sister Wilkes by grabbing food off her plate when they weren't looking....I stood by the side of the road for about five minutes thinking I was going to throw up on the ride home. Memories I'll cherish :)

Last week, Sister Wilkes and Kubota met a woman in a flat they were knocking, right before they were leaving to come home. She had a cross on her door but explained that she wasn't Christian, just learning, but her husband is. She was eager to hear more from us when they told her that our purpose is to help others understand more about Christ and how learning about Him and following Him can bless our lives and our families, so they set up a return appointment for last night. We walked in and could immediately feel something so special about their home. Their little 3 year old son was so sweet, everything was so clean, and they just looked happy. We all sat down and they pulled out the pamphlet we had given them about the Plan of Salvation. We had an amazing lesson with them and invited them to begin praying together as a family daily. They would be coming to church this Sunday but will be in KL, so we won't be able to meet with them for a little over a week. I just pray that God takes good care of them between now and the time that we get to see them again. There's just something very special about them. Oh, can call them A&W.

So that's all. It's really hot here. I hope you're all enjoying winter... I love you and am so thankful for your words and support. Oh ... and before I leave you for the week I would like to say a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY ABANG! I love you Dax! I hope you have a really great birthday! We'll celebrate when I get home. Till next week...

Dengan ikhlas,

Sister Norton

HFI

The beginning of another BEAUTIFUL day in Penang!

No comments:

Post a Comment